The first thing you should know about frying is that it requires a lot of oil. The quality and burning point of your oil will effect the cook of your fish. The optimal frying point for fish is between 350-375 degrees F. We set our deep fryer to 360 degrees F. Peanut Oil and Avocado oil are both great high heat oils to use. Do not use olive oil, it is best served cold!
- 1.5 pounds Tilapia
- 1.5 cups ground Parmesan (appx 3 cups shreds)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- oil filled to minimum level on your fryer
- Fill your fryer bin with oil to at least the minimum level line, set temperature to 360 degrees F.
- Slice your Tilapia into desired length strips. We cut each filet into 4. Keep in mind the fish will shrink after it has been fried. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine eggs and heavy cream, whisk vigorously for 10 seconds.
- In a food processor, grind your Parmesan cheese shreds until it is a consistent with grated Parmesan powder. It will take appx 3 cups of shreds to make 1.5 cups grated.
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, Parmesan cheese and seasonings, mix well.
- Coating the fish:
- Dredge the fish in the egg/heavy cream mixture.
- Using a spoon, place your coating mixture on a plate and then roll each fish piece in the mixture. Placing the fish directly in the bowl will make the coating clump, so it’s important to coat the fish on the plate separately.
- Place fish into your fryer basket and submerge, frying for 5 minutes.
This recipe will serve about 4 people. I prefer this Parmesan/almond flour coating to all other fried fish I’ve had in the past, it lends a delicious flavor profile and texture to the fish.